We want every member of staff to feel that they belong, can be themselves and that their opinion counts.
We can only reach our ambitious goals with multi-skilled, multi-experienced teams. Different perspectives make our work better.
What unites us is a passion for higher education and the enthusiasm to spread the message about the positive impacts UK universities have on our society.
Diversity, equality and inclusion at work
Diversity and equality help create new ideas and approaches to teaching, learning and research. With that in mind, we’re building a culture where difference is valued. We’re constantly evolving the programmes and tools that help all employees grow and manage rewarding careers.
Our inclusion and diversity action plan – which is supported by our senior leadership team – focuses on three main areas:
- We invite a wide range of external speakers to speak about diversity and inclusion.
- We provide support for staff to set up networks and forums to raise awareness and work together to make UUK a more inclusive place to work. This currently includes a Women’s and Gender Equality network and an LGBTQ+ network. The groups arrange speakers, hold events and discussions.
- Anyone in the organisation can contribute their ideas and experience to help us with our policies by joining our Inclusion and Diversity Network.
- All staff have the opportunity to write for our staff blog to share their stories and experiences – from career development to tackling racism at work.
- We hold inclusive staff celebrations to recognise the contributions that everyone makes across the organisation.
- We understand that not everyone can work 9-5. With our flexitime working policy, we trust our staff to work flexibly.
- We plan activities and events around awareness days and celebrations.
- We provide unconscious bias training for staff to make sure everyone who applies to us is treated equally.
- We provide tailored training for recruitment managers and access to a recruitment toolkit.